Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Modesty Mutual

Last Wednesday the Mia Maids were in charge of the Mutual activity. Or, because Sister Jordan hasn't had a proper Presidency meeting yet, SHE was in charge. I've gotten used to teaching lessons and am gradually improving at it, but doing the entire hour and half Mutual was a bit more daunting. It felt like the first day of school all over again, I was that nervous about it. (No nicely laid out manual with this; do you know how long an hour and half is?)

So in conjunction with the return of the school year, we did one on Modesty. I found a few activity ideas via Google (thank you, thank you, thank you!) and rolled them all into one night event. We had a little talk, a demonstration of some clothing with problems and how to fix them, went over the standards expected, taught them the head-shoulder-knees-and-toes test and then we did the main event —

making our own modest dresses out of tissue paper :)
















And may I say - It was a BLAST! Such creativity. Amazing what some tape, tissue paper, sparklies, and glue can do when combined with talented and enthusiastic girls for an evening. I consider it a success because they even forgot to ask for a treat at the end.

So, what fun/spiritual/awesome Mutual activities
do you remember doing in Young Womens?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Awesome! Great job Kal! Some of those dresses are pretty impressive. I think the activities I remember best are the service projects we did--like making those shirt dresses.

Stephanie Salmon said...

Picture scavengar hunts are so fun, and so easy now with digital cameras. Send the girls out in different cars with leaders to find things like an out of state license plate, a person with a crazy hair do, certain words or letters of the alphabet, etc.

Jenny said...

Nice work, Kal! It looks like it down very nicely, indeed :)

Anna said...

It looks like a blast! Well done!