Thursday, February 19, 2009

Odds 'n Ends


We have been puttering around the house lately, doing odds and ends.

My favorites are the new shelves. Bobby put up some in the office/bedroom closet as our food storage area. It is always difficult to figure out where to put the stuff and how to do it. These metal shelves seems to work out quite well! Best yet, if I get ambitious, I can make magnets to label everything and keep a running total and replace my impromptude sticky notes. The other side of the closet has a completely empty shelf, just ready to be filled up too. :)


And having these shelves meant I could clean up the boxes in the kitchen and organize my pantry. (I have a pantry! Am I grown up enough for that?!)



And I also got some shelves put in the laundry room, compliments of my handy man Bobby. It's sooooo nice to be able to have a place to put things.



And we decided that we just HAD to replace the kitchen stove that came with the house. It was that scary. Neither of us wanted to touch it, let alone eat anything that was cooked on it.




But this new one is just beautiful!!! And the store we went through to get it was fabulous. They delivered it for free (very nice) and although they couldn't legally hook it up (I live with a gas certified technician - no problem!) they did stick around until we had it done and then adjusted all the burners for us. And gave us some tips on any service we might need done, and phone numbers to reach them at for any other questions, and get a pep talk on proper maintance. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who plans on getting a stove in New Mexico anytime soon.

And now I can make all kinds of things, like this monkey bread. We made one for Bobby's nephew Riley, for a birthday present, since he loves this stuff. And kept one for us. I have to say how much I adore silicone baking ware. It's so easy! Particularly the muffin pan kind - I will never, never, never use metals ones ever again as long as I live. Although the glass bread pans still work better than silicone I think - the silicone is too flimsy and your bread falls when it's moved, which is quite aggravating after waiting so long for it to rise.

I also remembered these fun flowers my Mom used to make and I just had to try them out on Bobby. We ate at least two vases full. Although, I do cheat; I don't care for gumdrops so I just ate the cookies.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

He he, your quick quotes made me laugh. Very appropriate. I love your shelves and your stove! And I have silicone bakeware envy--our muffin tin is the devil's muffin tin, I'm sure of it. And those cookie flowers totally took me back; I loved those!

Anna said...

You're monkey bread looks so much prettier than mine. Can you share the recipe? I have no silicone bakeware either, but it sounds like it must be good. And if you can believe it Kali I regularly have days where I wonder if I'm grown up enough for this.

birchfam said...

Kali, you're so fun! I love reading about your homemaking adventures. I have to agree about the silicone muffin tins, I will also never EVER go back to metal ones. EVER.