Monday, February 23, 2009

BYU Young Ambassadors

One thing I absolutely loved about living in Provo was all the concerts and things that I got to attend at BYU. For example, Bobby and I went to the Ballroom concert when I graduated. And absolutely loved it. Or the jazz group concert. Or walking through the halls at the HFAC and seeing all the art on display. Or maybe the art history classes where I loved Bernini and Caravagio. Sigh. I miss it. A lot.

New Mexico is a desert in more ways than one.

So when we heard the BYU Young Ambassadors where coming to little 'ole Farmington, I was sooooo excited. Ecstatic. Elated. Just so happy to maybe get to the chance to have another culture/art experience, and it was from home too. An extra bonus. And then I heard how much tickets were and had to give that one up. (Yes, I am a penny pincher to the hilt...especially when it's something I really want. Haven't figured that one yet. But the more I want it, the less likely I am to get it.)

And then Rocky called us at exactly 6:50 on Friday night saying they had two extra tickets (they found one from a ward member who couldn't make it last minute and another the box office had leftover), and would we like to come? Would I?!!! Amazing how you can clean up dinner, drive into town, run through the parking lot (which, by the by, apparently I should work on; that should not have left me panting so hard) and find seats in ten minutes. Without breaking the speed limit too.


















It was just as good, and better, than I was hoping for! I mean, they did Michael Buble's "Everything", a few songs from Wicked (like "Defying Gravity", which is my absolutely favorite, and this is probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing it live so I loved every minute...Bobby probably thought I was a little nuts), Gershwin's "I've Got Rhythm", "Sherry baby" with a complete falscetto which was hilarious, "One More Wish" so there was some country, and lots of others. I caught myself singing along too. I hate it when people sing along in concerts - I mean, I'm there to hear the performers, not the audience fantatics. Oops. Oh well. I guess I've been to the other side and back now.
Could a Friday night get any better? I submit that it could not.

2 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Darn. Your post made me sad. Because I had someone ask me if I wanted to go (for free) and I turned them down. Because I wasn't in the mood. Now I wish I would have gone. Glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds perfectly lovely! I've recently been introduced to Caravaggio and Bernini (I have a test on them and their Baroque friends today, in fact), and I love them also. :)