Well, we are officially breaking our house in. Cool!
I have to share a few of the things I have (re)discovered that I love about having one's own house, and of course the quirky little things that show up in every new place.
1. Trying to remember which way is "our way". For example, Bobby loves to dip things when he eats. So, nachoes consist of a mini bean layer dip in a bowl for us. I'd forgotten that. (A funny little side note too, which probably only his own family knows. If you watch him eat, he'll eat all of one thing, then move to the next and finish it off, and then the next thing. He absolutely never mixes or takes bites of everything. One thing at a time until it's completely gone. Every time.)
2. Time with Bobby!!!! It's hard to share. A full weekend of his undivided attention was absolute paradise.
3. The fireplace. It's awesome!!! Having a pyro (translated "guy") and add onto that a previous fireplace technician, we have a great fireplace set up. Curled on the couch is one of my new favorite places. And Jenny, the kettle is soooo fun! It even whistles when the water is hot and I can have hot chocolate. :)
4. It's so quiet here. In our basement apartment we always half paid attention to when the upstairs neighbors came in or left. They weren't loud, we just found the little noises, like the front door opening or the car going up the driveway, let us know when they were home. Kind of miss it actually.
5. The neighbor dogs like to bark at anything and everything. Sheesh. Even us. I think there should be a rule that you can step into your backyard without feeling like a burglar.
6. The bathroom still smells like paint when the shower is on. Hope that disappears soon.
7. We have too many books and not nearly enough bookshelves. I don't know how to unpack the small bedroom/office, because I have nowhere to put our multiple boxes of books. What on earth did we do before?
8. I can do my Tae Bo and Ballet work out DVDs again. Although, I'm definitely out of practice....but at least nobody can see me do it!!!
9. While unpacking a box of bathroom stuff, I found the mother load: two new boxes of contacts! I've been doing glasses the last three or so months since that was all I had left. I'm NOT a fan of glasses and am happy to relenquish the four-eyes again.
10. Vacuuming new carpet is an interesting experience. I'm kind of surprised there is any carpet left on the floor with the amount of loose fuzz that got sucked up. My trash can is half full of the fuzzy stuff now.
11. It's a bit difficult to get back into the routine of cooking again, especially since I don't have a working stove or oven. I'm learning to appreciate a crock pot all over again. I'm waiting to try out a decadent chocolate cake recipe I found that you can bake in a crock pot. Who knew?
12. No spiders! Not one. Perhaps they really did perfer the dark basement because I haven't seen any here yet. I'll have to return my lifetime supply of Raid after all. (I loved the spray - far enough away not to get any contact with the nasty eight legged creatures and close enough they couldn't run away fast enough. Although there was one exception...I soaked one abnormally large spider in spray, he was drowning in a puddle in fact, and he just walked away! Freaked me out. We found him dead behind the dresser later and even in his shriveled and dried up state he gave both Bobby and I the shivers. And Bobby is the official spider killer when he's home. It must have been distantly related to a tarantula. By the way, I hate spiders. But maybe you figured that out.)
That's it for now, although more will probably appear. And who knows, maybe I can start blogging about something not house related. Now that would be cool.
1 comment:
I'm so happy for you! I love that "new house" feeling, and finding all the things you love (again). Crock pots, fireplaces, and lack of spiders happen to be my FAVORITES.
Post a Comment