Last night I finally, finally, finally got to start unpacking our boxes!!! It's been a very long time coming and seems to have come with a boatload of mixed emotions.
It was fun to be able to see my missing stuff again. It felt kind of like Christmas all over again, tons of boxes everywhere, trouble getting through the tape, chaos running a' muck. There were some surprises - like that fact a draining board can warp to an alarming degree after spending six months in a box, or cutting boards can mold (Yuck! and those were my good bamboo ones too). I started to laugh and then cry when I found the washrags Grandma had knit for me. The box of spices smelled so good and it'll be fun, and overwhelming, to start cooking and all that again. It's interesting trying to find a home for things, should it go on this shelf, or maybe it would be better over there, but maybe it won't fit, then there's no room for whatever comes next, etc... a puzzle without any right or wrong answers.
But I kind of felt like an intruder too. I was sure someone would walk in and start questioning what I was doing. I guess it'll take some time to feel like home and be a comfortable place. And all these months, some part of me has been saying that if everything were still in boxes, I could always still go home again.
So, there is only one solution now.
COME SEE ME!!!
I'm taking all reservations. :)
5 comments:
HUZZAH!!! Book me for a weekend in February! I think Mom's eyeing President's day weekend. Do you want all of us at once or to space us out??
I like reading your blog! You write very well. Very fluid like a conversation. You should write a book.
Oh and congratulations! Getting started is the hardest part. Of course after that finishing is the 2nd hardest.
Once you're all unpacked and you've lived there for a while and you look around and realize that everything is exactly where it belongs because YOU put it there and YOU are the boss - I bet you'll love that feeling. Just keep the suitcases close by and you can still go home anytime you want. :)
Woohoo!! I cannot wait to visit you in your beautiful home!
Cousins with 3 hooligan chilren included in that?? No worries if we ever manage to go somehwere first on our list is Logan to see Mike's baby- but if we ever head to NM you may get a drop by!
Post a Comment