Monday, October 12, 2009

Young Women lesson

Some lessons in Young Women's are more difficult to teach than others. For example - that one about scripture study where I felt rather guilty preaching to the girls to do what I haven't done in awhile myself... Or the one on the Second Coming which was literally was just one page of quotes. How do you teach for forty minutes from a single page of quotes?! Shudder. Definitely went looking for more material to use on that one. So when I looked at next week's lesson and let out a groan, Bobby probably thought it was on some deep gospel topic. Nope.

It's on Group dating.

How do you teach this topic when it's going to be to the sweet new Beehives who think boys still have cooties and the Mia Maids who are chomping at the bit and counting down the day to be allowed to date guys? (I know they are, despite their protests - subtlety hasn't exactly been on their side.)

I'm debating pushing the cootie angle.

Well, not really, even if it is a tempatation :) Luckily there is a good lesson outline in the manual for this one, which will help a lot. But if anyone has some additional suggestions, like fun group dates they enjoyed, or maybe even a guy's perspective on what made/makes a good date (a guy would definitely have more authority than myself as a leader giving a "lecture" on this and would probably be received better) I'm all ears!

4 comments:

Anna said...

Kali, maybe you could help emphasize (especially to those Mia Maids) WHY we encourage group dating. It isn't just about safety in numbers, although that helps too. I was able to read the Von Trapp Family Singers and what Maria said about 'dating' completely made sense. If you have access to the book see if you can find it, unfortunately I don't. At any rate pairing off in High School usually leads to more heartaches than necessary, and why should we do that? I know I never 'dated' anyone before Jeff, Maria didn't before Jesse, did you?? We are so happy now and none the worse for not having had high school boyfriends. Group dating doesn't always have to be about pairing off in a group either. If a group of young men and a group of young women participate in activities together they get a chance to be comfortable and make friends with each other. All the young men can make sure they dance with EACH of the young ladies at a school dance. Group dating is about fun and practice in social settings, not really about finding your eternal companion- that comes later in life with courtship. There off soap box now. You'll do great!

Anna said...

Oh neither did Irene- Jens was her first serious anything. I think it is a lot more common to not have a boyfriend that I was made to feel in High School

Jessica said...

I can come tell them some what-not-to-do dating stories. ;) Not only is there safety in number, groups are so much fun! I loved it when I had other guys and girls to interact with. Scott group dated a TON in high school (seriously, he dated EVERYONE), so I'll have to ask him for some input.

Jessica said...

Okay, Scott and I came up with a list of some of our favorite group dates back in the day: hiking, ice fishing, fourwheeling, night games at the park, trip to the lake, board game nights, ice skating buying date outfits at D.I., bowling, potluck dinner, scavenger hunts, outdoor movies, theme dinners, boating, sledding.