Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Connie Mack

Last Friday we were able to go to the legendary Connie Mack World Series Baseball Tournament. Well, at least legendary here, in Farmington, New Mexico. It's the high school baseball tournament that takes place once a year. I guess it's the final baseball tournament, but I'm not not sure how it's a "World Series". (Although, there was a team from Puerto Rico who came to participate - maybe that qualifies it enough for the title of "World Series"...?) As you can tell, I am obviously not a baseball aficionado. In fact, I believe this was the first baseball game I've been to in a lighted field with a stadium. And it was fun!

By fun, I don't mean the hour it took to get the game going. AN HOUR. They prepped the field, warmed up both teams, and then prepped the field. Again. And those bleachers are not kind to pregnant people. Luckily I finally remembered to bring the camera with us, so I got really well acquainted with it during that time. (I discovered it has some cool features on it, which may explain some of the odd shots I took.) So, you will actually get a few photos this time around!

A few of the game highlights:

The game we watched was Midland vs. the Hoots. Yeah. You read that correctly. The Hoots.

Apparently there's a new rule which states that only wooden bats can be used. The particular bats they were using couldn't quite stand up to the pressure - they broke about 4-5 that we saw, and chipped a few others.

There was a radar set up so you could actually see how fast the pitches were coming. Wow. I don't even like to drive that fast.

You have to pay attention and stay awake during a baseball game because of fly balls. I didn't know this. But when you walk up to the stadium and realize everyone on the top bleacher has stood up and is turning to look in your direction pointing at something, you catch on quick. Getting pegged with a 95 mile hour fastball could do some damage...

There were some cool double plays. A couple of homeruns hit outside the stadium. A few tremendous saves. Some players got hit with the ball themselves. (Ouch.) And for whatever reason, Midland team players kept having leg cramps on the field. It added an element of surprise - you didn't know when someone would just go down.

It was a lot of fun, and it even got a bit chilly at the end. Thankfully we didn't get caught in any of the seasonal monsoon rainstorms either!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I love all the pictures! And Bobby's new wood cover looks awesome. I'm getting so excited to come down and see your place!