What set off this rant and rave was a couple of "chain e-mails" I found in my in-box. I really have some issues with these things and think that the vast majority of them are a waste of space and time; particularly when it comes to religious and political propaganda, if I may call it that. (Although, frankly, propaganda may be too strong a word for this poorly concocted stuff. Propaganda generally involves more shrewd planning.) What these latest two were about: Islam and social security. Goodie.
So, in an effort to be sensible and discover exactly why I hate this stuff, here is my list of reasons:
- Impersonal. If it's these messages are aiming to be sent to over a thousand plus people, for whatever reason, it's too impersonal. All I am is a number on your list of hits. Who wants to be a number?
- Overly emotional. If it's trying to appeal to my emotions by ending with some little saying about how bad a person I am if I delete the message without sending it off to some other person, pleeeaasee. You just hit my spiteful side with a dead aim that guarantees I will delete it. Yes, I am that perserve. And if the message is only full of the overly emotional and the melodrama, well, I get enough of that with PMS thanks. I don't need yours too.
- Poorly presented. Am I honestly expected to take some this stuff seriously? A couple of clipart images pasted together with some bold lettering and blinking icons is NOT serious. I know young kids who can put together a more convincing arguments with powerpoint than this stuff. You'll have to do better than that for me to believe what's being said. The presentation is a major selling point. And you just sold out.
- Ill-informed. I'm sorry, but I refuse to spread your stupidity. Or, on the other hand, my own stupidity. If I don't know anything on the subject, am I really expected to just hop on the bandwagon because an unknown e-mail source said to? I'm saving us both the embarassment of our own ignorance by not sending your e-mail forward through another cyle of forwards. Really. I have your/our best interests at heart.
- Poorly argued. If I can find the fallacies in the facts as they are given, well...
- Narrow minded. These things never include the opposite point of view. And everything has at least two sides to every story, usually more. I would prefer a dialogue of open-mindedness instead of a persistent and overruling statement of right and wrong. Especially when I disagree with what's "right" and what's "wrong" with the topic :)
Phew. OK. Thanks.
I just needed to get that out before Bobby comes home and I blew up in his face. Poor man, he wouldn't know what hit him.
5 comments:
I totally agree! I too will ABSOLUTELY delete an e-mail immediately if it implies that by not forwarding it, I don't believe in God, I'm unpatriotic, I'm going to be stricken with a plague, or I'm going to be left friendless.
"I refuse to spread your stupidity." LOL! You're hilarious! I think I'm going to start sending that as a reply to all of the chain e-mails I get!
And it's probably a good thing you blogged about this...poor Bobby. ;)
Amen. That's all I can say. You hit the nail on the head - and these are all of the reasons I don't even read them or BOTHER to check it out on Snopes.
Whoops...I feel a full measure of guilt knowing that I sent a recipe exchange chainletter to you just a few weeks ago. My apologies, dear Kali, I had no idea you felt so strongly (I don't like them either, but the thought of recipes was irresistible) :)
Oops! I should clarify a little bit. A recipe exchange from a sister is entirely different than that political/religious bogus stuff. I love getting e-mails from family!
I could not have said it better myself. I HATE that kind of stuff!!!
Post a Comment