Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Homecoming Game

Bobby and I got adventurous and took out Friday night to the Piedra Vista High School homecoming football game, his old high school. He kept telling me how the Homecoming games are always pretty much rigged so they always play a school less talented than they are, so they have a guaranteed win. Happy Homecoming indeed. (To note, my high school never won one Homecoming Game while I was there. So I never missed out by not attending our football games. Maybe they should have tried this arrangement.)

They made the stadium look pretty impressive, with massive signs of supporters and blue and white flags flying all over the place. They even had set up a gigantic blown up panther (their mascot) for the players to run out of onto the field. But the first quarter delivered less than all the hype promised -- it ended at 20 to 6, the Pintos in a far ahead lead! So much for rigged...Bobby was a bit put out and I couldn't stop laughing. They pulled out eventually and did end up winning, but it took them the entire game to just barely pass the Pintos at all. Bobby and I both think they should put more into their practices and less on the fancy looking field. (I know nothing, and I mean literally nothing, about football and they looked lousy even to me.)
I personally feel that it was actually the announcer who won the Homecoming Game. He got the crowd to cheer and try to be excited about their lagging team and the reverse psychology worked. The football players started to actually play after that.
But even without an amazing game, we enjoyed a few things about our night out. Like watching Kristi revert to her cheer leading days. And seeing Bobby start shouting at the players - he's usually quite chill. And trying to figure out that there is more to this dog-pile business than meets the eye.

And best of all for me was the complete and total realization, which I wish I had known several years ago - there is life after High School!!!
And it's so good.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Fun! Yeah, you're correct, we always lost our Homecoming games while you and I were at PG. It sucked. Not that I really went for the football--I had no idea what was going on out on the field back then. (Thanks to my sports fanatic hubby, I now know about field goals, downs, options, hail marys, and all sorts of fun stuff).

Anonymous said...

Yay for homecoming! I just want to point out that Snow's Homecoming game was against New Mexico, and we totally tromped them...not that I had any part in the tromping, but it is nice to have bragging rights by merely attending a school that plays well.