Yep, our swine, kindly dubbed "Bacon" by visiting relatives, known as "Piggy" to the rest of us, had a good run while it lasted. Fresh New Mexican air, his own muddy puddle all summer, a bed of straw, Napi farm potatoes, the scavenged restaurant scraps, along with other donations from people nearby, made for a good life as a hog.
Having a pig made for some interesting incidents. Like when it got out and wandered all the way to the neighbor's front yard. I got a call from the hubby relying an urgent, and immediate, need for assistance to herd it back to its pen. Persuading a pig that is bigger than you it needs to move is not an easy feat. The magic trick - apples. Or bread. Pigs like both of those. Make it a Hansel and Gretel type of trail to lure it back home while pushing its head in the right direction. And for the record, smacking it with a purse really doesn't affect it any.
A thousand thanks to the Garcia family and Sama for their help yesterday. It was Piggy's last day in this world, and they helped Bobby with the deed, which the squeamish wife couldn't handle. They were quick, efficient, and very skilled with their work. Three hours, from start to finish, with a packed freezer as the end result.
We, well actually Sama, took photos to document the event. (I made the work crew lunch, inside, and checked things out every once in awhile. No hands on for me, thank you very much. I can't identify what I'm eating or cooking or its just not happening.) So I offer a few photos of our day, and if you want more of the story, call and talk to Bobby. I know he'd love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment