Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Firework Stands

I have discovered a funny phenomenon here in New Mexico -- firework stands. They sprang up all over the place about a month ago from anywhere along the side of the road to the Wal-mart parking lot, mall parking lot, and besides the post office. Anywhere. And these aren't the little firework stands either, no sir. They resemble very large white or yellow circus tents, not the small shelves boxy things I'm used to. I've seen up to three of these crammed together off the roadside all trying to come up with increasingly flashy displays to attract more customers than the guy next to them.


I wish I had some kind of time lapse photography for these stands. It's been quite funny to see how they keep getting more and more decorations or anything they can think of to attract customers.


They started simple, just the big tent with a large sign reading "Fireworks". They have since added more signs sporting bargain deals; bright christmas lights spelling out the word "fireworks"; large flood lights to light them up; the strings of flags strung from pole to pole like a car lot; blinking billboards; and today put up smaller signs reading "Fireworks 500 feet" flying little American flags to announce to the world that you are approaching a firework stand (never mind the fact you bypassed two others). All they need now is some poor guy dressed up in a rocket costume waving a sign. But I suppose in this desert land of upper ninety degrees and no shade they decided to draw the line somewhere. You can drive by and point out all the new, and now daily, additions to the decor. Wonder what they'll come up with tomorrow.


1 comment:

Anna said...

How funny, here's a tip for you: IF you want to get fireworks wait until the afternoon of the 4th- they'll practically give them to you. One year we were in Seattle visiting the Ralphs for the 4th and my Dad and Uncle Steve got hundreds, and I do mean hundreds of fireworks for like 20 bucks because they just wanted to get rid of them while they still could. They stayed up playign with them long after everyoen else got bored, lol